Sunday, June 9, 2013

Calamari Risotto

I’ve always wanted to make risotto and my friend was coming over for dinner so I thought this was the perfect chance. I think that seafood is a little bit of a luxury, so I tagged it as $plurge. Lol.

Ingredients:


  • 1 lb Squid Calamari
  • ¾ Onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 cup Arborio Rice
  • 4-5 cups stock/broth (not pictured)
  • Olive Oil
  • Green Onion for Garnish (Optional)

1) If calamari isn’t clean, clean calamari. Set aside legs for another day. Cut into ½ inch bites.

2) Chop up garlic. Set half aside.

3) In a pan pour enough olive oil to coat. Heat. Then add garlic and calamari. Cook until calamari is tender to the bite. Shouldn’t be longer than 4~5 minutes.


4) Set calamari aside.

5) Mince onion.

6) Heat broth/stock until boiling.
Side note I: I used the chicken broth I made a few days ago. It was frozen so I had to melt it down. I also added some more water since it was such a concentrated solution.

7) In same pan heat more oil, add garlic and onion.

8) When onion has turned translucent, add rice.

9) Once rice is toasted add about 1 cup of broth at a time. Stir constantly.

10) After broth is absorbed, add another cup of broth. Repeat process until rice is cooked to al dente.

11) Fold calamari back in.

12) Plate and add chopped green onion for garnish.



Cost Breakdown:
  • Calamari: 1lb @ $2.49
  • Arborio Rice: 1 cup (about ½ lb) $1.27
  • Garlic: $0.48/18= $0.06 
    • $0.06 x4= $0.24
  • Onion: $0.20 x ¾ =$0.15
  • Broth: $2.08 x ¾ = $1.56 (See this post for full break down)

Total: $2.49+ $1.27+ $0.24+ $0.15+ $1.56= $5.71
Total per Serving (2~3) = $5.71/2= $2.86/serving OR $5.71/3= $1.90/serving
Side note II: This was a little much for two people. I think it could’ve realistically fed three people.


No comments:

Post a Comment